Lovin’ The Skin I’m In is a faith-based nonprofit organization whose mission is to empower and uplift girls (ages 7-18+) in N.E. Wisconsin who identify as African American, black or biracial by providing access and exposure to opportunities that develop their talents, gifts and leadership skills.
In 2015, the Chandler family relocated to De Pere, WI from Charlotte, NC for a job opportunity. Founder Rhonda Chandler’s son was going to high school, her older daughter in middle school and youngest daughter in elementary school.
They quickly noticed the lack of diversity in the area; there were no teachers, staff, administrators or peers that looked like the children. They were bullied because of their hairstyles, hair texture and skin color. They even became the brunt of racist jokes and comments. The girls no longer felt confident about who they were created to be.
Rhonda knew something had to be done! She met other mothers whose daughters had similar experiences and decided to build a community for her girls and countless others in the area.
The Meaning Behind the Mission
- To promote Self love, Self esteem, Self confidence, Self identity, Self Worth
- To encourage community and foster Sisterhood
- To model standards of behavior
- To identify and set goals
- To debunk myths about girls of color
- To offer community service opportunities
- To ensure the participants are mentally, spiritually, emotionally and physically healthy
- To develop leaders and visionaries
- To provide cultural education and experiences
Support Lovin' The Skin I'm In
If you’re interested in collaborating with, sponsoring, volunteering, or donating to the organization you can either contact us here or click the “Donate Now” button below.